The Contagious Desire to Talk About All Things Cats

Sunday, September 26, 2010

The FURminator

A few years ago when I had a dog, I came across a small booth at a local art fair where someone was selling an unknown product that was recently patented. They claimed that this tool would replace any brush as the best deshedding tool for long haired dogs. I, the excited owner of a incredibly long haired pooch, was quickly seduced by their claims. The prospect of a solution to the annoying dog hair problem was too exciting to pass up. I quickly forked over the cash and went home to try it out on my unsuspecting dog. (Note: the FURminator deShedding Tool is much more expensive than the average brush, some models run as much as $75.)

The tool worked great, at least, whenever I was able to use it on him (he didn't much care for being brushed). He had a very think coat and the tool was able to grab a lot of the undercoat and pull it out in huge clumps.

I am no longer a dog owner but I still have a furniture-covering hair problem. Amos sheds a ridiculous amount, and not just in the so-called "shedding season." I was excited to hear that the once small company has ballooned into a huge company, FURminator, Inc., with its products being sold at large retailers such as PETCO and PetSmart. They have a number of different tools now, including one for cats.

I recently purchased the cat model FURminator and am anxious to see how it stands up to the one for dogs. I'm not sure if he likes it or hates it (he'll purr a lot but also runs away or flips on his back). I did get a good ball of fur out of him yesterday though (pictured).

I'll keep ya'll updated.

- H

1 comment:

  1. I love the FURminator!! This one tool has prevented everything we own from being covered in a thick layer of cat hair (instead, we only have a thin layer -- a definite improvement). I have to use it judiciously on the long-haired cat Smudge, as he's not as big of a fan, but the Stripes go crazy for it. I have a special (old) towel that I put down when I FURminate them (helps to catch the flying hair), and Cookie goes crazy if he sees me reaching for the towel; that's how much he likes to be FURminated. I hope it works out for you as well as it's worked for me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...