The Contagious Desire to Talk About All Things Cats

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

While the Human's Away, the Cat will . . . Sleep

And play, but mostly sleep.

As I am getting ready to go out of town for five days I have to consider what arrangements I need to make for my cats. If I am gone for just a weekend I will just make sure there is enough food and water. But any length after that I have to do a little more.

H and another friend have graciously agreed to check in on Laci and Washoo while I am gone. So that takes care of making sure they have enough food and water and that their litter box is freshly cleaned. Washoo will get some attention when their caretakers drop in, but Laci will not be seen.

However, there are so many things that can happen in between the caretaker visits. Here are a few tips to avoiding cleaning up dried puke on your furniture when you get home or discovering that your favorite shirt has a huge hole in it.

1. Put away all clothing that is left out. Whether it goes in a drawer, on a hanger, or in a hamper, put it away.
2. Close all drawers fully. Multiple times I have found my cats have crawled into slightly opened drawers.
3. Make your bed. Sure your home looks better with a made bed, but if your comforter or sheets are in a ball on your bed that just encourages a cat to curl up into them and chew them like a pacifier because they are depressed that you are gone.
4. Close off as many rooms as you can. It will contain damage and cat hair.
5. Cover fabric furniture. If your cats are prone to puking like mine it can be a huge disappointment when you find that they have puked on your new couch. I plan to throw an old sheet over mine.
6. Stow any dangling strings. Put away things with cords that may hang off an edge. One jump or swat can pull down that item and a bunch of things with it.

I am sure I am forgetting something. So, I guess I will add tip seven to the list when I get back from this trip.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...