The Contagious Desire to Talk About All Things Cats

Sunday, August 22, 2010

You Scratch My Cat, I'll Scratch Your Cat

When you own cats, you have to have at least one other friend who also owns cats who will check on your monsters when you are away.

I am thankful H was able to check on Washoo and Laci for the six days I was gone. I was able to partially return the favor. As I soon as I got back, H took off for a long weekend.

Pet sitting a cat is a lot different than watching a dog. Sure with both you feed and take care of poop, but paying attention to the pet is different.

A dog is always ready for your attention and willing to play. Just the word "walk" will cause a dog to get excited. You take them out, you throw a ball, and you are done. They are ready at any given moment for some human affection.

However, with cats just because you are there doesn't mean they are ready for the same affection. They'll let you know when they want some attention and it isn't always when you stop by.

When cat sitting, I usually try and just sit and be available to the cat for about 15 minutes, longer if I have the time. Sometimes the cat will wonder over for some pets and sometimes they just go about their business. Dropping in on Amos, he only acknowledged my presence enough to tell me that it was porch time.

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...